January is the time of year when we take stock of our lives and ponder what changes we would like to make for the new year. One of the top New Year’s resolutions for many people is to lose weight. Taking control of your health is definitely a good idea for many reasons, including the health of your spine. Carrying extra weight increases the load on your joints and spine. It can also make you more susceptible to conditions such as:
- Disc herniation
There are also several other ways you can improve your health this year, including:
- Get more exercise. Try to aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. Regular exercise can lower your risk of obesity and diabetes, as well as a variety of other neuro-musculoskeletal symptoms. Exercise can also reduce your stress and give your confidence a boost.
- Add more green to your diet. If you aren’t getting enough leafy greens, now is the time to overhaul your eating habits. Vegetables like broccoli and kale are rich in calcium, and can also hope to lower your risk of osteoarthritis. Spinach, as well as lentils and beans, are high in magnesium, which can benefit patients with back pain. We can also discuss what vitamins and supplements can put you on the road to better health.
- Practice mindfulness. Take a few minutes to rest your mind each day. This could be through deep breathing, going for a walk or practicing meditation. By relaxing your mind, you can lower stress and boost your immune system. Practicing mindfulness can also help decrease chronic pain flare-ups.
- Schedule a massage. Let’s face it, massages feel great. But not only that, they can also help your body achiever better balance. At Absolute Health Chiropractic & Massage we offer massage treatment as a way to treat a variety of client concerns, including to relieve muscle pain or provide treatment for an injury. Massage therapy can also help increase a patient’s range of motion.
- Quit smoking. You already know that smoking can lead to multiple health issues, but did you know it also increases your risk of arthritis and spinal conditions? Quitting smoking has been shown to lead to a decrease in spinal pain. Not only that, it can save you money!
- Get a chiropractic adjustment. If you’ve been experiencing back, neck or joint pain, chiropractic treatments can help provide relief through gentle adjustments. Not only can it help provide natural pain relief, it can also increase your mobility and help improve the alignment of your entire musculoskeletal system. This can improve your balance, and reduce your risk for suffering an injury.
If you are ready to get a jumpstart on a healthy new you, call Absolute Health Chiropractic & Massage at 207-699-2622 to book your appointment today!