Winter is (finally!) loosening its icy grip and the weather is starting to warm up. For many of us, that means tackling all the tasks we’ve put off during winter – from spring cleaning to yardwork. However, it can be easy to jump in too quickly and overdo it. It’s all too common this time of year for people to injure themselves by trying to take on too many projects at once, or simply burn out and compromise their immune system.
That’s why it’s important to make time for yourself by practicing self-care with chiropractic treatments and massage therapy. Not only does it give you time to focus on improving your health and overall wellbeing, it also can help you recover more quickly from injuries.
Build Up Your Immune System with Chiropractic Treatments
One way to help give your immune system a boost is with regular chiropractic care. The spine is part of your central nervous system and by making sure it is properly aligned, it helps all parts of your body to function more efficiently. In turn, this can help increase your body’s ability to fight off illness.
We also treat patients at Absolute Health Chiropractic and Massage with active care. We customize this form of rehabilitation for each patient. The goal is to move patients through a combination of strength, stability, mobility and flexibility training exercises to help them work underactive muscles, increase blood circulation and achieve balance in their bodies. Active care can also help reinforce progress we’ve already made through chiropractic adjustments.
Massage Therapy for Self-care
Another way to take care of your body’s needs is with massage. Not only does a massage feel great, but it can help treat over-worked muscles. The problem is that massage is something that people often put off until they are in pain. However, just like regular exercise, frequent massage treatments can help prevent minor skeletomuscular injuries from becoming major problems down the road that could lead to loss of mobility or flexibility later in life.
If you are already experiencing issues with back and neck pain, massage can be an excellent way to treat it. Dr. Cait will work with you to determine what areas are causing issues in your body by performing an assessment to test specific muscles for shortness or weakness. She will also ask about any underlying conditions that may require special care. After completing her assessment, Dr. Cait will determine the best massage treatment plan for you. Think of her as your personal wellness coach.
Other Ways to Practice Self-care
Regular massage and chiropractic care can go a long way toward taking care of your body. However, there are others forms of self-care you can practice on your own, including:
- Eating right. Try to eat a healthy diet high in protein, fruits and vegetables and low in saturated fat. Not only will it help your waistline it will also boost your mood.
- Getting enough sleep. Not sleeping enough can take a toll on your health and your state of mind. Aim to get at least eight hours every night.
- Regular exercise not only helps keeps you at a healthy weight, the endorphins released by physical activity is another natural mood booster.
- Drink plenty of water. Try to consume a minimum of 64 oz. of caffeine-free, chemical-free, sugar-free beverages every day, such as seltzer or still water.
- Take time to connect with friends and family. Call a loved one who lives far away or take a walk with a close friend. Not only will it improve your mood, but it will boost theirs as well!
If you need some help with a self-care regime, call Dr. Cait and make an appointment today.